Waste Oil Heater Plans
(online access only, printable)
Price: $59.99
Waste Oil Heater Plans
(online access + hard copy
)
Price: $85.00

Purchasing The Plans
By purchasing, you gain exclusive access to these great plans for 90 days.
During that time you can view, download, and print the plans as many times
as you wish!
Login Information will be emailed to the email provided within 48 hours of payment.
Downloadable Materials:
Waste Oil Heater - Flyer (PDF)
Parts & Accessories:
You might be also interested in our Combustion Blower Fan and Murphy Fuel Pump MP-1
Murphy Fuel Pump MP-1
(Buna seals)
Price: $166.80
Out of Stock
Murphy Fuel Pump MP-1
Add Viton Seals
(compatible with vegetable based oils)
Price: $30.00
Out of Stock
Combustion Blower Fan
Price: $116.69
Out of Stock
Combustion Fan
Our Waste Oil Boiler Plans are available here!
Waste Oil Heater Plans
Transform a 55 gallon drum & 100# propane tank into Free Heat from a Zero Smoke Waste Oil Heater you can build in about 2 weeks.
  • NO PANS TO CLEAN OUT
  • NO FILTERS TO CHANGE 
  • NO FUEL NOZZLES TO PLUG
  • NO EXPENSIVE PARTS OR MAINTENANCE 
How is this heater different than other waste oil heaters?

Most waste oil heaters on the market today are engineered to be either a Spray Gun type or a Pot Burner. Pot burners are just what they sound like. It's basically an oil fire contained within a pan or pot. These are very dirty devices and create lots of soot and smoke. Spray gun types are a more efficient design because atomizing the fuel before igniting it results in a much cleaner burn and more heat output. The problem is the high pressure fuel pumps and tiny fuel spray nozzles that plug up due to the particles and contaminants present in waste oils. Our heater atomizes the fuel before igniting it but does not use a high pressure pump or fuel nozzle, there is nothing to plug up and the design eleminates the need for expensive filter changes.
Downloadable Materials:
Waste Oil Heater - Flyer (PDF)
· Heating Capacity:
70,000 Btu’s - 200,000 Btu’s (with adjustable fuel feed)

· Fuel Consumption:
0.6 to 2 gallons per hour

· Fuels:

-Waste Motor Oil
-Waste Vegetable Oil
-Transmission and Hydraulic Oils
-Mineral Spirits
-Machine Cutting Oils
-Synthetic Oils
-Gear Oils.
-BioDiesel or Fuel Oil at any ratio together or separately.

· Dimensions:
30” Diameter x 68" Tall + Fuel Tank of your choice.

· Weight:
~250 Lbs. (Without Fuel Tank).

· Electrical:
110 VAC / 15 Amp Circuit.

· Compressed Air:
Less than 0.5 CFM @ 80psi

· Controls:
Manual Ignition and Shutdown

· Construction:
Commonly available materials

Waste Oil Heter

· Skill Level:
Requires proficiency at Tig or Mig Welding, basic metal fabrication skills and basic electrical skills.

· Special Tools Required:
Mig welder or Tig welder, Torch or other way to cut plate steel.

· Lifetime Expectancy:
20 years

· Maintenance Interval:
3 days to 1 year depending on type of fuel used.
(Maintenance takes approx. 90 seconds)

· Estimated Construction Costs:
Between $200 and $500 depending on your resourcefulness.

· Construction Time:
1 to 2 weeks.

· Filters:
None (but keep the bugs and twigs out)

· Fuel Delivery:
Suggestions for low volume and low pressure pumps. Gravity feed optional but not recommended.

· Exhaust:
Smokeless operation on all recommended fuels

Frequently asked questions can be found at the bottom of this document.
This heater was specifically designed to be constructed using commonly available materials that can be found at your local hardware store, and in many cases, salvaged from common appliances. The instructions include part by part suggestions and alternatives to keep your construction costs to a minimum.
Waste Oil Heater Construction Plans
Plans are $59.99 and you get over 60 pages of professionally drawn full color diagrams with over 160 illustrations describing each step.

Burning free waste oils for heating is not only resourceful, it is environmentally responsible.

In 1985 the Environmental Protection Agency issued final procedures for disposal of used oil by burning on site (40 CFR 266.41). These procedures say there is only one solution to eliminating your waste oil liability, burn it!

Additionally, if you choose to use waste vegetable oil as your fuel source, you are contributing to environmental protection by using a carbon-neutral energy source that does not contribute to global warming!
Waste Oil Heater Construction
The plans include:

*Table of contents with clickable links to each component section.

*Materials List with description, photo and alternative suggestions for each item.

*Over 160 illustrations including,

-Labeled CAD Drawings

-Labeled 3D diagrams and photos

-2D Prints for cutting plates

*Complete descriptions and step by step directions to make each part.

Customer's Video of the Burner Head on a Test Bench
You need the latest Flash player to view this video.
Waste Oil Heater - Do-It-Yourself Project
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Question:
I hear a lot of waste oils have a high content of water in them. Will this affect the performance of the heater?

Answer:
The heater plans include a design which acts as a water separator within the fuel tank. Small amounts of emulsified or dissolved water being feed to the burner will not affect its operation. The heater unit is very tolerant of dirty or wet fuel.

Question:
How big of a building with this unit heat?

Answer:
The amount of input energy required to heat any building is widely dependant on ambient outdoor temperatures and efficiency of the buildings insulation. To get an idea of this heaters capacity, the average free-standing wood stove produces about 65,000 btu’s of heat.

Question:
How hot does the outside of the heater get?

Answer:
Exhaust temperatures of the unit vary upon the fuel settings but are normally between 400 and 650 degrees Fahrenheit. Unlike a wood stove, the outside of the heater unit has no exposed hot surfaces to burn your hand on. All heating surfaces are contained within the unit.

Question:
Are there any special parts on this that will be either hard to find or expensive?

Answer:
No. Most of the parts are common hardware items that can be salvaged from appliances or purchased from a local hardware store. The unit requires an exhaust stack rated for wood-stove use and a pump for which there are many options.

Question:
Are there any filters to change and how often do I need to change them?

Answer:
The heater does not require the fuel to be filtered. However, an intake screen on the fuel suction is recommended to keep any sticks, twigs or dead bugs out of the pump.

Question:
Can this heater be hooked up to a thermostat?

Answer:
Yes. With the installation of proper oil furnace heating controls, you could easily hook this up to a thermostat.

Question:
If I have problems or questions while I am building this thing, is there any support available?

Answer:
Yes, Just email or call me and I’m sure I can help you.

Question:
Can the unit be left unattended?

Answer:
Without knowing your exact installation, I can not make a recommendation on this subject. However, while I would personally never leave a wood stove unattended for more than a few minutes at a time, I leave my shop heater run all by itself for hours. During normal operation of this heater, you can not see the flame inside. It is completely enclosed inside a combustion chamber made from a pressure tank.

Question:
How long will the unit run on a single tank of fuel?

Answer:
That would very depending on what size of fuel tank you decide to use and how cold it is outside. My 50 gallon tank usually lasts about 4 days in 10 degree temperatures but my shop is so poorly insulated you can feel the cold air blowing right through it. Some of the photos included in the plans show the pitiful lack of insulation in my building.

Question:
Can this unit be adapted to heat water?

Answer:
The part of the heater that actually produces the flame could be easily adapted to heat water but these plans show how to use it for heating air only. If you’re asking this question, you could probably figure it out yourself.

Question:
Do I need a vertical Bridgeport type mill or a lathe or any other type of special machine like that?

Answer:
Only basic tools are required to build this heater. You will need a Mig or Tig welder and you need to be able to cut squares and circles from steel. You will want an angle grinder and cut-off wheels. A torch or plasma cutter would be real nice too but are not required.

Question:
How much will it really cost to build this thing?

Answer:
My workshop is on a farm and we have all kinds of junk laying around. I spent about $100 for various things like the 55-gallon drum, old propane tank, and some pipe fittings. I found the big fan on top in a forced air furnace and already had the fuel tank. How much you spend will greatly depend on how much you already have or can find free. This unit was designed with parts from common appliances I find thrown out on a regular basis.

Official PayPal Seal